– Pack boxes full so they don’t crush – but not too heavy.
– Label boxes on all sides for easy identification when stacked.
– Take apart items such as tables and bed frames to save space.
– Place small pieces in a baggie and tape to items you have taken apart.
– Make sure you have no food or perishable items in your boxes.
– Do not leave water in any appliances – it will go bad and smell.
– Use clean packing paper instead of newspaper that may leave ink smudges.
– Try to keep your belongings off the floor with wood pallets or 2×4’s.
– Pack boxes so that you leave an aisle to walk to the back of the unit.
– If you think you will need some items more frequently, stack them in front.
– Plastic coverings can cause mildew or rust – use sheets or blankets instead.
– Make sure you have storage insurance. We have storage insurance if you need it.
– Use a disc lock to stop someone with a bolt cutter – we give you one when you rent with us.
– Do not store flammables or toxic materials in the unit.
– When storing lawn and garden equipment, drain any fluids prior to storage.
– Store small items like pots and pans in large appliances, such as stoves or refrigerators.
– Stack boxes with heavier items on the bottom and boxes with fragile items on top.
– Don’t use free boxes from supermarkets and liquor stores – the mismatched shapes and sizes make it hard to organize your stuff effectively.
– Box up everything that you can. Anything left unboxed in a self-storage facility can get dusty.